09 December 2009

It's That Time of Year...

...when the world falls in love...every song you hear seems to say...Merry Christmas...may your New Year dreams come true...
Such a great Christmas song...I could sing Christmas songs all day...lalala...
First on my agenda for the day...Santa...yes...I believe...in the magic of Santa...and I hang my stocking every year...but here are a few Santa's (for those of you who are collectors) that I've gotten over the years...three are by Gene Keith...art teacher extroidinaire at Athens Elementary School in Athens, AL...the tall one in the back and the two on either side are ones he carved...I bought the two to the side...the tall one in the back was a gift from him...we'd had a bad ice storm and I brought him part of a persimmon tree that had toppled...he took part of it and made this lovely Santa...you can see a little more of his work at: http://www.athens.edu/college_arts/art/faculty/main.html if you will scroll to the bottom of the page...Thanks, Gene!  Your talent blesses my house each Christmas!

Each year I try to get one new decoration...this year it was this darling Santa Dish...I thought about putting a bright red or white candle in it...but rethought it when I realized I'd have to somehow get it out of the dish when it had all melted down...so am satisfied with the Peppermint Twists from Walgreen's...

I also make Christmas ornaments each year for my darling grandchildren (and a few other folks)...this year the ornament it a spider web and spider...why?  Go and read the story about the Christmas Spider at: http://kraftmstr.com/christmas/books/spider.html  This year I made 7...one for us...one for each of my 4 grandkids...one for my great niece (holy canoli...I'm old enough for a GREAT NIECE!) and one for my godson's beautiful baby girl...hmmmm...I've done palm trees, mermaids, trees, snowmen and a few other things over the years...time to start thinking about what to do for next year...

One of the beadgroups I belong to has been "repurposing" teeny beanie babies (and other small critters)...I've done three...one was the flamingo "Fionna" that was auctioned off on MissionFish for Breast Cancer Research...one was a little pony...who turned out really cute...even if I do say so myself...the success of those two prompted me to find other beanies...naturally I went to Ebay...and found a couple more...Stegosaurous...my favoritest of dinosaurs...was one I got...and he was a challenge...but I think he turned out right cute as well...on his belly I put my initials...something not on the other two because I hadn't thought of simple peyote as a way to make my initials in beads til I started little Steg...don't you just love him???

Speaking of Fionna and the Breast Cancer project...the "Pink Ribbon Turtles" Project for 2009 was able to send $650 to the American Cancer Society for Breast Cancer Research.  The drawing piece, "Friends" went to R. Ericson of Cocoa Beach...only the second time the turtles have stayed in Cocoa Beach...to find out more about the project...and what's in store for 2010 please go to www.atawhisper.com/prt.htm

And last...but most certainly NOT least...RUBY

...my little birthstone dolly came home the other day after traveling down under to Kathleen in Austrailia, up north to Marty in Michigan and out west to Debra in Colorado to be adorned in her brilliant red attire...isn't she just glorious???  Ruby was part of the Birthstone Round Robin that the group Beaded Art Dolls held this year...I was fortunate to be grouped with these three very talented artists...and RUBY just LOVES to show off her outfit...complete with purse...a girl needs a purse...ha...don't you just love her???  Even though she's my birthstone (JULY/RUBY) she is such a perfect color for Christmas she is standing near the Christmas Card basket for all to admire...THANK YOU ladies...can't wait to do another one!  Are you a beadwork artist?  Head to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/beaded_art_dolls/ to find out more about the Beaded Art Dolls group...we have lots of fun...and some of the dolls that are created are amazing!

OK...so that's my epistle for the day...time to have a little lunch and relax a while...
May your holiday season be blessed...which reminds me...here is the beadwork I did for our Christmas card this year...a picture says a thousand words...remember the reason for the season!
Faith, Hope, Peace, Joy and Love
God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment